Friday, December 20, 2013

Give Cold Weather Gear


Day 16: Give Cold Weather Gear

Let's face it . . . the elements can be brutal at times! It's been nice to have slightly warmer weather recently. I cleaned out my van without a coat on today! However, I will miss the lovely snow we had, though it's supposed to get chilly again.

Today, we went to my son's preschool Christmas Concert. In the lobby of the preschool, they had this "giving tree" covered with hats, gloves, and mittens. I thought it was perfect for nature kindness, as it helps others brave the elements and enjoy (or even tolerate!) the outdoors. I've heard of local ministries going to "tent towns" giving out blankets and cold weather gear to these people.

In our own family, we haven't had great gloves for the boys with this most recent snow. They've love going out to play in it, but would be back in within five minutes for a new pair of gloves. I visited 5 different stores or so and looked online before I found some that seemed like they would work. (Menard's by the way--I didn't see much for kids at Wal-mart, Target, or Sam's Club, though the supply is dwindling) When my 7-year-old son saw his new warm gloves that would be good for the snow, he had a huge smile on his face. They are harder to get on and off, yet he did it over and over again as he knows he will be able to continue working on his snow fort once we get more snow again. If a simple thing like good gloves puts a smile on his face, think of someone who truly needs the gloves and how it can impact them. So, we can be kind to nature by helping others brave the elements. In winter, this may mean donating hats, gloves, scarves, used coats, and blankets. Cold weather gear can make it more possible for others to experience nature.

Shh! There might be more waterproof mittens in their stockings!